How to Get to Frank's Place Hotel in Malpais
From a quiet fishing village to a celebrities hideaway and surfers' paradise, Malpais is still a fairly remote and undeveloped area.
Malpais is known for its numerous surf spots including Playa Carmen located at 100 meters from Frank's Place, beautiful beaches, breathtaking sunsets, rocky outcroppings, steep jungle-covered hills, and forests teeming with animals, birds, and insects.
You can either fly or drive to Malpais, both ways offer scenic views of Costa Rica.
Flying to Malpais
Sansa and Nature Air fly to Tambor regional airport from San Jose regional airport (located close to Juan Santamaria International airport). The 30-minute flight is a truly a sky tour of Costa Rica offering panormamic views of the Central Valley and the Southern tip of Nicoya peninsula.
From Tambor airport, you can take a taxi or rent a car. Once you land, the ride Tambor/Malpais take about one hour.
Driving to Malpais
The drive San Jose to Malpais will take approximately 6 hours and includes a 1-hour ferry crossing. From San Jose,
· drive for 3 hours across the beautiful mountains of the Central Valley up to Puntarenas.
· In Puntarenas, board the ferry to Paquera.
· In Paquera, take the only paved road to Cobano via Tambor.
· From Cobano, the road is unpaved with several pot holes. After 20 minutes of the dirt road, you will come down a hill and face a 3-way intersection.
· Frank's Place is located on the right hand-side before the first intersection.
· The reception is by the Alamo Rent-a-Car office.
Direct Bus to Malpais
If you are taking the direct bus, go to el mercado de la Coca Cola (Coca Cola flea market) in downtown San Jose and take the bus from the bus company: Transportes Rodriguez that does the route: Montezuma-Malpais-Santa Teresa.
It will take you approx. 3 hours to get from San Jose to Puntarenas. In Puntarenas, board the ferry to Paquera. It takes about 1-1 1/2 hours to get to Paquera. Once in Paquera, board the same bus and enjoy the ride of approx. 2 hours until you get to Playa Carmen - Mal Pais. Frank's Place reception is located on your right when you exit the bus. The timetable changes frequently so it is best to call before.
|< Prev||Next >|