In doing so, we deliver excellence in services and benefits that are tailored to fulfill your specific requirements.
All that with just a click. Our online booking system lets you create. modifiy or cancel your reservation at anytime so you can plan your trip from home!
To help you get the best Costa Rica car rental, Europcar makes it fast and easy.
MAKE IT COMFORTABLE
At Europcar Costa Rica, we are committed to making your driving experience as smooth as possible, so you can enjoy the ride through our wonderful country worry-free. The following added values can be booked online with your vehicle or hired/purchased at any of our stations:
- Baby seats: for babies up to 10 kgs (22 lbs) roughly from birth to 6-9 months.
- Infant seats: for children weighing 9-18 kgs (20-40 lbs) roughly from 9 months - 4 years.
- Booster seats: for children weighing 15 - 36 kgs (33 - 79 lbs) roughly 4 to 11 years. The rate for all seats (baby, infant, booster) is $5 per day.
- GPS Navigation System: Adaptable to all our vehicle categories, the Smartways GPS system makes sure you get to your destination. The rate is $12 per day.
- Mobile phones: For local or international communication. Rentals start at $2 per day plus $0.50 per minute for local calls / $1.50 per minute for international calls.
- Ice coolers: Great for taking your drinks or perishable foods during your trip. The rate is $15 per rental, no matter how long your trip is.
- Raincoats: Excellent for our green season, if you plan to explore some trails by foot. The cost is $9.99
- Free internet access: We have provided our Return Station and Liberia Station with computers specially for our customers, so you can surf the web or check your emails for free while in our offices.
- Free Airport Shuttle Service: We offer this service to and from any of both our International Airports (San Jose or Liberia), when your flight information is provided.
- First Aid Kits: Packed with your basic aid for minor injuries or temporary relief of common illnesses. The cost is $14.99
PROTECTIONSTHIRD PARTY LIABILITY (TPL)
What is a Third Party?
Third Parties are all people, animals or things that are outside of your rental vehicle.
Europcar Costa Rica’s TPL (Third Party Liability) has a coverage extension of USD $500,000. This will guarantee that, in case you should be involved in an accident or other event, where people or things not traveling with you get hurt, Europcar Costa Rica will take care of all medical or other expenses caused by this. And the TPL protection does not have any excess or deductible amount for you to pay. TPL is mandatory in all rentals.
What is an Excess or Deductible amount?
Excess or Deductible is an amount not included in the protection, which is the customers’ responsibility to pay in case of accident.
LDW (Loss and Damage Waiver) is a combination of: CDW (Collision Damage Waiver) which concerns damage to the rental vehicle, THW (Theft Waiver), which concerns theft or loss of the rental vehicle, and the TPL (Third Party Liability).
LDW = CDW +THW + TPL
Unless Europcar is able to recover the cost of its damages from an identified liable Third Party, the renter/driver is responsible for all damages made to or loss of the vehicle occurred during the course of the rental. This liability can generally be waived against payment of a fixed charge per rental day. It should, however, be noted that for those renters who have purchased such protection, a residual non-waiveable amount (or "excess") will be applied in the event of damage to or loss of the vehicle.
What does this mean?
The LOSS DAMAGE WAIVER (LDW) protection covers damages made to the car you are renting, when you are involved in an accident, overturn or other event that can cause this damage. It also covers you from paying the total value of the car in case it is stolen. LDW does not apply for tires and windshield.
This is the ONLY cover with an excess or deductible, and the amount depends on the category of car rented (going from $900 to $1500). The excess amount must be held as a guarantee deposit on the main drivers’ credit card during the rental. No cash deposits are allowed. When the vehicle is returned in the same condition it went out, the excess amount is refunded on the card.
Is LDW mandatory in Costa Rica?
LDW cover is mandatory when the customer cannot present written valid proof or evidence of credit card LDW protection in Latin America, Costa Rica, in off-road conditions and for the category requested (and YES, we will verify this information with your bank). We strongly recommend our customers to purchase Europcar Costa Rica’s basic protection LDW, in order to enjoy their trip without the worry. If the customer decides to decline Europcar Costa Rica’s LDW cover, the THIRD PARTY LIABILITY protection must be purchased separately.ADDITIONAL DRIVER PROTECTION (ADC)
The ADDITIONAL DRIVER PROTECTION (ADC) is optional and guarantees that all protections taken by the main driver will be also applicable to any additional drivers.SUPER LOSS DAMAGE WAIVER (SLDW)
The SUPER LOSS DAMAGE WAIVER, optional and additional, frees the customer from all liability for paying damages or LDW’s excess amount in case of accident, theft, or total loss, except in cases of negligence.
This additional protection is a "super" protection, because it protects you on the part of the LDW insurance of which you are unprotected from (the excess, or first $900-$1500, depending on category, as stated in the LDW explanation).
This insurance must be requested for each rental contract, and Europcar Costa Rica reserves the right to offer and/or suspend it at any time if it considers it is being misused.
This cover is not applicable for tires or personal belongings inside vehicle.
So what does Europcar Costa Rica consider as "Negligence"?
Negligence means acting in an irresponsible and deliberate manner that causes damages to Europcar’s vehicle.
COMMON NEGLIGENCE CASES:
- Improper advances, which cause collisions or vehicle to flip over.
- Running over red lights, or not obeying traffic signs which may result in collisions or vehicle flip over.
- Driving at a higher speed than what is established by Law for the particular road the vehicle is on.
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drug consumption.
- Driving through rivers that are higher than half the tires’ height, or right on the beach, into the ocean or an inlet.
- Leaving keys on car doors or on the ignition while vehicle is unattended, leaving doors open or unlocked during absence.
- When the vehicle is parked in a "no parking" zone or in a place where theft or damage of the vehicle is fomented.
The PERSONAL ACCIDENT INSURANCE, optional and additional, applies to all passengers in Europcar’s vehicle, including the driver. No excess is applied. It includes the Public Liability Policy, covering all public liability not covered by the contract, which may be generated by the car rental service offered to the insured party within national territory. It also includes the Automobile Seat Policy, which applies to the vehicle’s driver as well as the other occupants, and covers bodily injuries due to the unexpected action of any violent, fortuitous, and sudden external agent.
PAI cover is does not apply If and when a number of passengers exceeding the maximum capacity established by the manufacturer is traveling in the vehicle.
TIRE DAMAGE COVER (TDC)
By purchasing the new protection TDC, the customer can be worry free if something should happen to the tires (flats or damages to the rubbers). This protection does not include damage made to the wheels.
Is the TDC worth it?
As a preventive measure, we really do recommend this protection. In recent times, we have had several reports on vandal gangs working near the airport or coming in to San Jose, that puncture tires with a sharp object when vehicles are at a stop light, causing a flat to vehicle rental customers. When the customer stops to check what’s wrong, these vandals gladly approach him/her offering their help to change the flat, and during this distraction they proceed to steal valuables from inside the vehicle.
This is why we advise our customers of the following:
Whenever they get a flat tire near the airport or coming into San Jose, or in a place where they feel someone is following them, we STRONGLY recommend NOT to accept any help in these cases, and if they do so, we advise to watch out for their personal belongings, be very careful and aware of the person(s) helping out and never show any money they are carrying.
We also advise to drive with doors locked at all times and windows up when in San Jose Downtown or in secluded places.
If the customer has any questions or needs help, they are welcome to call any of our stations or the TOLL FREE number 800-EUROPCAR for assistance.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT CREDIT CARD PROTECTIONS
Some credit cards may entitle their holders to a degree of cover for damage to, or loss of, the rental vehicle. We are happy to recognize such cards and do not object the card-holder, in such a case, not to avail of the protections described below and to stand liable for any damage to, or loss of, our vehicle.
Please, however, be aware of the following:
- If you elect to be covered by your card and decline Europcar's protections, you are also declining Europcar's FREE recovery service. Europcar Costa Rica will charge service fees for recovery or assistance if requested by a customer who has declined Europcar’s LDW protection. Guarantee deposits for customers who decline our LDW protection range from $3000 to $5000, depending on the vehicle category.
- The extent of coverage provided by credit cards varies and is usually subject to certain restrictions, in particular concerning the maximum length of rental and the type of vehicle which can be covered. Major credit cards generally offer a loss and damage protection to their GOLD and PLATINUM members. These "covers" are generally very specific to the area you are traveling to (Latin America, Europe, Asia, etc.), to the type of vehicle reserved and to the roads the vehicle is driven upon.
- Europcar strongly advise you to contact your Credit Card organization before rental and provide written details/proof of your coverage when arriving at the at the Europcar rental location. Europcar Costa Rica will not accept credit card insurance plans without written proof, and reserves the right to accept or not accept any other insurance plan.
TERMS & CONDITIONS
Cancellation fees apply as follows:
Up to 72 hours prior to arrival: 1 FULL RENTAL DAY
Less than 72 hours prior to arrival: NO REFUNDS WILL APPLY.
Europcar will guarantee passenger’s pick up at the airport terminal only if the flight information (airline carrier, flight number and arrival time) is provided IN THE BOOKING.
Europcar’s service for terminal pickup is during normal office hours, from 6:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
Passenger’s in delayed flights coming in after 10:00 p.m. should contact our emergency service: 357-3838 once they arrive, in order to coordinate next day hotel delivery.
Europcar grants one (1) hour for vehicle pick up after the time specified in the reservation confirmation. After this time, the reservation is cancelled and delivery is subject to availability.
Europcar also grants one (1) hour for vehicle return after the time specified in the rental agreement. After this time, a charge of $ 10 USD per hour is applied. A full rental day will be charged after 4 hours of overtime. All delays in vehicle returnal must be coordinated with our reservations department.
A NO-SHOW is considered when:
- The passenger with a confirmed reservation does not show up to one hour after the time stated in the reservation document (unless amended by the customer, prior to his arrival)
- Reservations are not cancelled in valid time (see cancellations above)
- Cancelled flights up to 24 hours after original arrival time.
- When the Customer is not registered in the Hotel or place that he has indicated for vehicle delivery (information will be verified with prior to delivery departure)
In all of these cases no refunds on prepayment will apply.
Europcar Costa Rica will not assume responsibility for any damage, loss or harm to people or properties derived directly or indirectly by acts of Nature, detainment, delays due to strikes, quarantines, civil disturbances, government regulations and restrictions, road closings or any other which Europcar Costa Rica has no direct control o
EUROPCAR COSTA RICA will maintain any and all information regarding customers, private. The information entered into the site will not be provided to any other source. This information will be used solely by EUROPCAR COSTA RICA under penalty of applicable law.